Thursday, March 21, 2013

Tj's Kick-Ass Coconut Granola Recipe



5c. Rolled Oats   (I use Bob's Red Mill GF Rolled Oats they are wonderful)
1/2c to 1c Almond Meal
1 c. shredded unsweetened raw Coconut
1/2 c. Oat Bran (Can use any bran, even wheat germ if you aren't Celiac)
Combine the above ingredients in a large bowl with enough room left to stir in liquids and disperse evenly.

1 c. Melted Coconut Oil (Can use others, Coconut tastes the best and is the best for you, it is a good fat)
1/2 c. raw Agave Nectar (You can use honey or brown sugar if you prefer, the Agave works better for me because the sugar in it is better assimilated in me and I can't do honey.  Also you may want to add more sweetener, I use very little now, I used to use a whole cup of Agave)
1 to 2 tsp. pure Vanilla extract  (Can also add a tsp of Almond extract if you want a cherry taste)
Combine the Coconut Oil, Agave, and Vanilla, then pour over oat mixture and stir until all oats are coated with mixture.

Place in a 9x13 (ish) glass dish and Bake at 275 for 15 minutes.  I prefer mine soft and chewy so if you like yours crunchy, just cook it longer, and stir it in 15 minute increments.  Let it cool and add fruit.  I add raisins as a favorite and then it tastes like a warm oatmeal cookie if you eat it soon, that is a huge comfort thing for me and the coconut oil, oatmeal and vanilla really soothe my stomach.  You can use fresh fruit, strawberries and blueberries are best, it is wonderful with raisins and bananas.  Find your perfect combination, I have some on hand most days of the week, it is a wonderful sweet treat without the unhealthy fat and sugars.
Enjoy....

You can also add more nuts and seeds in 1/4 c. increments; pumpkin, sunflower, and sesame seeds are all delicious to add for a change in flavor.   You can also add Hazelnut Meal instead of Almond Meal and that is very tasty too.

No comments:

Post a Comment